Genealogy from the perspective of a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon, LDS)

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

How Good is the FamilySearch Family Tree as a Genealogy Program?


I have used a number of different local computer-based genealogy programs over the years and moved my accumulated data quite a few times from an older program to a newer program I thought more useful. At one point in time, I had five or six different local programs as opposed to internet-based programs running on my computer, all with my entire database. I could see advantages in each one. During this same period, I was struggling with online programs such as new.FamilySearch.org and Ancestry.com's family tree program.

Over the years, the number of viable local, desktop genealogy programs began to decrease. I always had one issue due to the fact that I used Apple Macintosh computers as my primary system and few or the desktop programs had Mac versions. I finally abandoned PCs for genealogy altogether which forced me to rely even more on online programs. By the time the desktop program developers came out with Mac versions of their programs, I had pretty much transferred all my data and my attention to online programs including all four of the large online database and family tree websites: FamilySearch.org, MyHeritage.com, Ancestry.com, and Findmypast.com.

I made a comment about the decrease in the number of "viable" programs. My reference to "viable" means that the programs were supported, updated and had valid connections to the online family trees. As technology developed, online programs, in general, became realistic alternatives to maintaining a separate desktop database. For many years, I supported the idea that the unreliability of the online programs mandated the use of a desktop-based program. But as the online programs became more full-featured and reliable, my point-of-view changed. My original issue with programs that lacked Mac-based alternatives became irrelevant. I could use my Macs to access any of the online programs, in fact, as they became available, I could use any number of devices including tablets and smartphones to access my online family trees. The desktop programs that developed a usable connect to the online database programs remain a viable alternative or supplement to the online programs. For that reason, I now primarily rely on online family tree programs and I am only interested in desktop programs that have useful connections to the online world.

How does a program such as the FamilySearch.org Family Tree compare to the available desktop programs? Some of the desktop programs have some very nice features that are not available online. There is a trade-off, however. There is an extra step in the overhead needed to maintain your database if you use multiple programs. At some point, you need to decide on using one program and then transferring information to any other useful programs on an "as needed" basis.

Whether or not you are satisfied with any one program usually depends on the degree of your familiarity with other programs. Whether you think the FamilySearch.org program is a good alternative or not depends on whether you are familiar with a variety of programs. Most of the genealogists I know are "married," in a sense, to one program. They know next to nothing about the features of other viable programs. Many of people I talk to are not aware that other software alternatives even exist. For example, from time to time, I find Personal Ancestral File (PAF) users who do not know that RootsMagic and Ancestral Quest both support and preserve PAF files.

I think there are several very good genealogy programs and would be happy to use any of them. Because I focus on the FamilySearch.org Family Tree is no indication that I do not like the other programs. For example, Family Tree Builder is a full-featured, extremely well-developed program that is free from MyHeritage.com. It is very well supported and currently has a rating 4.17 out of five stars on GenSoftReviews.com. But I would guess that few of those who are hanging on to PAF are even aware of its existence.

Most of the criticism I hear about the FamilySearch.org Family Tree is just trivial and is based on a lack of understanding of the program. I have written extensively about the complaint issues and have some videos on The Brigham Young University Family History Library YouTube Channel about the issues also. We all benefit from having a number of different choices in the genealogical community. If you don't like one program, use something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment