Genealogy from the perspective of a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon, LDS)

Monday, October 3, 2016

The Transformation of the Family History Library for Grand Opening at RootsTech 2017


For sometime now, the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah has been undergoing major changes, especially to the first or main floor. During the past year, construction has removed the shelves and reconfigured the entire layout. Recently, construction was started on installing a Family Discovery Center. Here is a possible concept image of what is being created.


Because of the international interest in the Family History Library, the new Family Discovery Center will be developed to support language other than English. I have not heard whether or not the existing Family Discovery Center in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building, just a short distance away from the Family History Library, will also continue to operate.

The Grand Opening of the new Family History Library Family Discovery Center is planned during the upcoming RootsTech 2017 Conference to be held February 8 through 11, 2016 in the Salt Palace, just south of the Family History Library in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah.

If I am as busy at RootsTech 2017 as I was last year, I doubt that I will have time to visit the new Family Discovery Center, but I wil certainly have that opportunity shortly after the Conference.

2 comments:

  1. What is the purpose of the FDCs? Is it thought that the novel visual displays will invite more than one visit by one person?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the question. I think the answer will involve a blog post. I will try to answer in the next few days, since I am currently busy teaching a lot of classes.

      Delete